Sorry if you put money down on my picks for the men’s draw. Of the eight quarterfinalists, I had a remarkable three correct: Federer, Nadal, and Ferrer. I know I was stretching by going with Gooch, Baghy, and Wawrinka, but Marcos came close with his five-set victory over Safin, then his five-set loss to Hewitt.
I was pretty much on in saying that the winner of the Tsonga–Murray first round match would have a good shot at making it to the semis, and now only Youzhny stands in Tsonga’s way.
And maybe Djokovic isn’t due for a sophomore slump, or maybe it’ll kick in at the spring hardcourt tourneys or the French. I’m still waiting for the other adidas Barricade to drop.
Surprise of the tournament thus far:
- Roddick crashing out so early (but we weren’t surprised about his potty mouth tirade)
- Blake still hanging around (and coming back from two sets down against Grosjean in the process)
- Hewitt looking like he’s a top 10 player again
- Nieminen showing that the Scandinavians can do more than just ski
- TSF fave Tipsarevic cementing his name on the list of Serbians sitting atop the pro tennis heap.
Some close quarters: Out of the final eight remaining, I think Fed gets an easy win over Blake, Djoko needs 4 to put out Ferrer, Youzhny takes out Tsonga in 5, and Nadal dispatches Nieminen in 3 easy sets. Then we have a Fed-Nadal final. I think Nadal is playing better than Fed this week so far. I’m saying Nadal in 5.
>> TSF’s australian open coverage